Slow initial opening of files on network

Get help with installing and running FastPictureViewer: ask questions here. Please do not post presumed bug reports or suggestions here.

Slow initial opening of files on network

Postby coleman on Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:43 am

Does anyone else run into a really long lag when opening files on a file share? Like 30-60 seconds. Once it's open it works fine for me, but the first time I access network resources it's usually got that horrible lag. I don't think it's my network or computer, it only happens with FPV. Any other picture viewers work fine. In fact, when it first happens, often just switch viewers to open the file.

It''s a bit annoying, so I'd like to resolve it if I can. Any ideas?
Thanks!
coleman

Re: Slow initial opening of files on network

Postby Axel on Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:15 am

No such issue here: we have all kinds of networked machines, desktops, servers, laptops, tablet PC, wired or wirelessly connected (all running some version of Windows) and network performance is within expectations. You should contact support @ fastpictureviewer.com with more details and we'll try to figure out what's going on.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby Talkiet on Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:24 pm

I came here just to post this same issue and noticed this.... Exactly the same issue...

Latest FPV, Win7, all latest SPs, remote machine is win 2008 server. No other apps opening the same files across the network have the issue - just FPV. It's VERY frustrating. It hasn't always done it, but it probably has for 3-4 months.

Cheers - N
Talkiet

Postby Axel on Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:36 am

We recently introduced real-time folder watching also for remote drives (this feature only worked on local drives previously) and it could be that this change is causing problems in some network environments.

We never actually seen or reproduced the issue here, but it was indeed reported a couple of times here so the current build introduces a REG_DWORD registry setting to be added to the program options under HKCU\Software\ARSD\FastPictureViewer, named DisableFolderWatchingOnAllRemoteDrives, that can be set to 1 to disables the feature.

A couple of small registry scripts that disable/enable remote folder monitoring are attached to this post.
Attachments
FPV_DisableFolderWatchingOnAllRemoteDrives.zip
(763 Bytes) Downloaded 801 times
Axel
Site Admin

Postby Digi on Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:23 pm

Thanks to Axel,

i had the same problem on my machines, it woulnd even open anything and just stopped working. couldn´t even kill it with the task-manager. disabling folder wotaching did the trick, works like a charme now :)
Digi

Postby Axel on Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:49 am

If your remote folder(s) or local drives contains any TIFF files, you should check out the following Microsoft Knowledge Base article (and install the hotfix!)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2619291/

http://www.fastpictureviewer.com/blog/2011/12/slow-tiff-performance-in-windows-7/
Axel
Site Admin

Return to User-to-User