Nikon Codec conflict (Vista)

Get help with installing and running FastPictureViewer: ask questions here. Please do not post presumed bug reports or suggestions here.

Nikon Codec conflict (Vista)

Postby Head4Heights on Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:56 am

I did a trial run of FPV's Codecs so that I could use Windows Explorer (Vista 32) to view thumbnails of .ORF, .NEF and .DNG files.
I almost succeeded except that FPV complained at every system startup that the Nikon codec was conflicting and I was no longer able to view .NEF thumbnails. I've removed the FPV codecs for now.

Advice on this forum is unequivocal: don't try and use 2 codecs at the same time, trash the non-FPV one. Which is fine as the Control Panel has an entry for Nikon Codecs. My anxiety stems from the possibility that the Nikon supplied software will stop working and I'm not sure I'd be happy with that... unless the FPV codecs can be used by the Nikon software??

Your advice would be most welcome. :)
Head4Heights

Re: Nikon Codec conflict (Vista)

Postby Axel on Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:07 am

Yes there should be only one codec installed for any given format. That said, all codecs and components of the FastPictureViewer Codec Pack are optional and can be opted out during installation, by customizing the feature tree.

Nikon software (like ViewNX, CaptureNX, Camera Control Pro, Transfer etc) does not use any codec of that kind (or of any other kind for that matter).

Our codec typically is quicker than Nikon's for its intended purpose, which is to provide high-quality thumbnails and quick previews to Windows Explorer, Windows Photo Viewer, Media Center (on Windows 7) and select codec-enabled applications, including our own FastPictureViewer Professional image viewer.

The Nikon codec is better at full decoding of the raw data, the only "problem" is that no raw processor uses that codec to open NEF files so this advantage is actually a moot point: the full-resolution JPEG preview embedded inside NEFs can be read much quicker and is perfectly adequate for thumbnails and previews, which have the "Nikon Look" as they were created by the camera itself with all settings and PictureControls applied.

The warning you saw only exists in the trial version. You are free to use whathever NEF codec of your liking provided that you use only one.
Axel
Site Admin

Re: Nikon Codec conflict (Vista)

Postby Head4Heights on Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:12 pm

Many thanks for that... I have much to learn about codecs. Nikon have confirmed that their applications don't need codecs and that it's only Win Explorer that needs them. So I'm going to trash the Nikon codec, reinstall FPV codecs and prepare to be amazed :) It's entirely possible I'll end up parting with some hard earned cash shortly!
Head4Heights

Return to User-to-User