Win 7 - pin icon to taskbar

Describe any features you would like to see in future versions of FastPictureViewer Professional.

Win 7 - pin icon to taskbar

Postby DrTeeth on Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:42 pm

Hi,

My suggestion would be to make the icon that one pins to the task bar to persist between updates/upgrades. *Every* time an update is installed, the pinned icon becomes white and non-functional. To fix this, it has to be unpinned, the updated FPV has to be loaded, and the new icon pinned to the taskbar.

I have not noticed this behaviour with other programs, so I hope that this behaviour can be modified.

Regards

DrT
Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
DrTeeth

Re: Win 7 - pin icon to taskbar

Postby Axel on Sun Aug 26, 2012 1:54 pm

The installer always perform a major upgrade, i.e. the product is uninstalled then reinstalled during the upgrade process. This ensures more consistent updates as all files are redeployed, and changes can be made to the deployement layout etc, as it is pretty much like a fresh install. How many times have you heard that application X did not work after being updated, and that uninstalling left files behind that had to be manually cleaned etc? Not with FastPictureViewer 8-)

Pinned icons are removed when applications are uninstalled, and it's true that you must re-pin it to the taskbar after the upgrade. There is no hanging white icons left on our test system though, and no one ever reported this behavior before.
Axel
Site Admin

Re: Win 7 - pin icon to taskbar

Postby DrTeeth on Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:08 pm

Axel wrote:Pinned icons are removed when applications are uninstalled, and it's true that you must re-pin it to the taskbar after the upgrade. There is no hanging white icons left on our test system though, and no one ever reported this behavior before.

It's not a big issue, but thought I'd mention it.

I always get a hanging white icon on upgrading. I am happy to run any tests for you if your wish to pursue this matter. I can test under Win 7 x64, Win XP and Vista SP2 x64 on the same PC. I can install a separate Win 7 x86 if you would need it. Please let me know.

With kindest regards

DrT
Stress - the condition brought about by having to resist the temptation to beat the living daylights out of someone who richly deserves it.
DrTeeth

Return to Suggestions