Visual Studio 2012 ?

Anything (more or less) related to FastPictureViewer not fitting in the above sections.

Visual Studio 2012 ?

Postby stevebrett on Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:03 pm

Hi,

I had to remove the codec and it was causing Visual Studio 2012 crash when creating new projects.

The details of the crash are detailed here http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1225 ... te-project with the solution of removing the codec which immediately fixed the problem for me.

Weird but any ideas. I'd love to have the codecs back but need VS for work etc.

I've pasted the details of the post above below for reference:

I just upgraded to windows 8 from windows 7. Visual studio 2010 broke down completely. Oh well. I removed vs2012 and installed visual studio 2012, where the pain starts. I have been reinstalling vs 2012 a couple of times. However, the symptom remains the same. When I try to create a new project (FILE -> New -> Project or ctrl + N).
It pops up with an error message dialogbox saying
"Failed to create a ImageSource from the text '..\Images\Medium.png'.
" I am like @#*%&^@*#@#(. So can anyone please tell me what is going on with my Visual Studio2012? By the way, I can open and run the existing vs2010 projects with no problems.
I definitely neither want to do a fresh install on windows 8 nor rolling back to my windows 7. Cheers,

Solution:

Do you have any codec packs installed on your system? I had a WIC codec pack for viewing RAW files in Explorer, and it resulted in the same issue you are describing. Uninstalling the codecs fixed Visual Studio for me.

Thanks

Steve
stevebrett

Re: Visual Studio 2012 ?

Postby Axel on Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:04 am

That problem in Visual Studio (or more likely in WPF-based applications) only affects users who manually opted-in the Canon CHDK Codec in our product - a component which is not installed by default - and who subsequently upgraded their OS from Win 7 to 8 without also upgrading the FastPictureViewer Codec Pack.

When we designed this particular Canon CHDK component back in 2009 we successfully tested it on XP, Vista and Windows 7 but we could not possibly imagine that bugs in some future products would be induced by its the presence.

We did, however, issue an update of the Codec Pack on September 16, 2012 i.e. five weeks before the official release of Windows 8 and only 4 days after the release of Visual Studio 2012.

This update works around all issues by not installing that particular module on Windows 8 so all you have to do is install our latest version.
Axel
Site Admin

Re: Visual Studio 2012 ?

Postby stevebrett on Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:28 pm

Thanks Axel that worked perfectly.

Many thanks

Steve
stevebrett

Return to General Discussions