Codecs work for admin, not normal user

Get help with installing and running FastPictureViewer: ask questions here. Please do not post presumed bug reports or suggestions here.

Codecs work for admin, not normal user

Postby howdego on Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:19 pm

I installed the codec pac in my administrator user and all is working well in that account. All the thumbnails appear properly. However, in my normal user account,my RAW files and my PSD files are still shown with their default icons. Can you tell me how I can correct this?
howdego

Re: Codecs work for admin, not normal user

Postby Axel on Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:15 am

Yes this has been observed on some systems. The reason is that the installer is prevented to write the registration key to the normal per-machine location during setup. Instead of failing, the installer falls back to a per-user location, so the codecs at least work for the installing user.

The reason may be the actions of an overzealous anti-virus, or non-default registry permissions preventing write access to the needed location.

The workaround is as follow:

Un-install the product, then re-install if from the user account where it did not work.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby gavind on Sat Jun 29, 2013 4:58 pm

Thanks, the work around works. But is there a chance that this gets fixed onto the next version? Some users might have around 5 users set up and we won't be able to use those. Image
Last edited by gavind on Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gavind

Postby Axel on Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:07 pm

There is nothing to fix. This only happens on systems that have been messed up with. Install Windows from scratch and everything will work as expected.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby Kerusker on Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:28 pm

Axel wrote:There is nothing to fix. This only happens on systems that have been messed up with. Install Windows from scratch and everything will work as expected.

If I'm correct, version 308 does not apply WCS i.e. 'Farbverwaltung aktivieren' etc has no effect.

I switched back to the former version 300, which does not have this malfunction (if I'm correct).

And yes, I did install under user account.

Axel, I like answers like your's above. It reminds me of the times when a secretary said 'the word processor didn't work'.
Kerusker

Postby Axel on Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:23 pm

Yes build 308 has an inadvertent bug which disabled WCS (for those users who had explicitly enabled it in the program options). If you uncheck the "Use Windows Color System" option on the "Personalization" page, the standard color engine gets used and color-management works again. The problem has been corrected and the download servers was updated.

Not sure about your other remark. People mess with their system with free utilities supposed to "clean", "speedup" or "protect" their computers and do all kinds of other supposedly good things.

Most of the time however, those programs cause more harm than good, and users - who likely ignored warnings and clicked OK to everything in those utilities - end up with computer no longer working as intended, THEN turn to software vendors like us to report various malfunctions, caused by their own actions (sometimes unknowingly).

Reinstalling Windows on a blank disk and refraining for ever messing again with security settings and registry permissions cures many of the alleged problems, including the one described in this thread.
Axel
Site Admin

Return to User-to-User