Best DNG workflow?

Anything (more or less) related to FastPictureViewer not fitting in the above sections.

Best DNG workflow?

Postby brettmaxwell on Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:38 pm

Hey, looking for some help with the best way to use DNGs with FPV. I import into Lightroom, convert to DNG, cull with FPV, sync ratings, then edit with LR. I'd like to keep my DNGs as small as possible; lossy compressed and small jpgs embedded.

Can FPV be made to work with lossy compressed DNGs so that it reads the full resolution file?
If not, what are the settings for the smallest DNG that can be used effectively with FPV, including 100% viewing?

Thanks!
brettmaxwell

Re: Best DNG workflow?

Postby Axel on Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:21 pm

With DNG, the best option for full-resolution viewing is to configure your DNG converter to include full-size JPEG previews. This way you have a fully rendered JPEG representation of the DNG available in the files and that is the best option. If half resolution is OK for your culling purposes, you can set LR to include only a half res preview (resulting in slightly smaller files), etc.

DNG lossless and lossy compressions are related to the raw data, which FPV does not need to use if a suitable JPEG preview is available.
Axel
Site Admin

Return to General Discussions