Hotkey/shortcut for sort order

Describe any features you would like to see in future versions of FastPictureViewer Professional.

Hotkey/shortcut for sort order

Postby sveto on Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:37 pm

I'm changing the sort order from name to file date and the other way around, very often. You said in the other thread that it's not possible for FPV to read the sort order from the explorer setting.

Please give us a hotkey to change it on the fly, because going everytime into the menu for that change betrays the idea of a Fast Picture Viewer - one cannot work fast, if he needs to access the menu all the time.

In WinXP the Windows-Viewer respected the sort order of explorer. Directory Opus, wich i used, does respect his own Explorer settings - but it has no Color Management for his viewer yet.

It's the only feature that i miss in FPV at the moment and that's preventing me from bying the program. Otherwise, FPV is really excellent, my congratulations!

sv
sveto

Re: Hotkey/shortcut for sort order

Postby Axel on Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:33 pm

The sort order cannot be changed without re-reading the entire folder tree, so a shortcut does not make sense.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby sveto on Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:46 pm

It would be the difference b/w:

1) Menu -> Options -> Miscellaneous -> Sort order -> Close -> ESC -> Open
or
2) Hotkey -> ESC -> Open

Clearly, it's a big difference.

PS: Can't this "re-read" be automated somehow?
sveto

Postby BobRPC on Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:08 pm

I could not agree more, a shortcut key for sort order would have my $39.00 in your hand today.
Upon pressing the hotkey, perhaps it would be possible to make note of file that is currently displayed, flush the cache and re-read the folder tree, then redisplay the file that was last displayed.

I would not perceive the program as slow if it took many seconds to accomplish this, as it would be lot quicker than the current method of navigating the menu to change the option and quit/restart the program.

Otherwise Great program, lightning fast!
BobRPC

Postby sveto on Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:40 pm

Hello,

I just wanted to drop by and ask, if this feature was added meanwhile or something similar is planned. I switch between DATE and NAME sort-order like every 5 minutes when i'm working with FPV, and it's quite time consuming to go into the options every single time, instead of using just one shortcut.

Any news on this? I'm still using v1.2 so i'm not up to date on the newest additions. I'm happy with the program and not missing anything, except this one feature that would double my working speed.

Best regards,
Sveto
sveto

Postby Axel on Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:32 pm

There is no easy way to change the sort order as the folders and subfolders needs to be reloaded entirely when changing from say, name to date taken. At the moment the sort options are in the Options dialog and there is no keyboard shortcut to select among the five possible choices, perhaps in the future I could add a function key to switch between name sorting and the currently selected date/time sort mode among the four availables.

I guess that reloading the folder without losing track of the current image would earn me some extra points? 8-)
Axel
Site Admin

Postby sveto on Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:14 am

Axel wrote:I guess that reloading the folder without losing track of the current image would earn me some extra points? 8-)

Yeah, absolutely. :)
But seriously, any solution to this is better than no solution. It doesn't need to be perfect, just fast - like in "Fast Picture Viewer".

If you find a way to make this work - it's greatly appreciated here! (Can't speak for other people.)
Sveto

EDIT:
perhaps in the future I could add a function key to switch between name sorting and the currently selected date/time sort mode among the four availables.
^^this would be very acceptable, from an ergonomic point of view.
sveto

Postby BobRPC on Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:45 pm

this feature would be greatly appricated here too! put me down for 2 paid copies the day the feature is released.
BobRPC

Postby Axel on Tue Jul 05, 2011 1:38 am

This was not forgotten: there are a couple of productivity features that must get finished and released first, then the convenience features will get all my attention!
Axel
Site Admin

Postby sveto on Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:55 am

Good to hear that. I still catch myself cursing quite often when i have to change the sort order... :lol:
sveto

Next

Return to Suggestions