"The installer has encounted an unexpected error"

Anything (more or less) related to FastPictureViewer not fitting in the above sections.

"The installer has encounted an unexpected error"

Postby HNicolai on Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:27 pm

When I try to install FastPictureViewer x64 on Win7 64bit then I get this error:
I've also tried to install the x32 version of the program, but I get the same error :(

When I try to "unpack" the msi file then I get a error saying that "The archive is corrupted". I have tried to download the program many times so I'm quite sure that it doesn't get corrupted while downloading...

Can you please check that the newest version of FPV work (can install) on windows 7? Thanks ;)

Some information that might help you:
I'm downloading the build 114 (both 64-bit and 32-bit)
(To make sure that the file doesn't get corrupted when I download it): This is the MD5 of the Build 114 64-bit: 1f99dc40e5dec31bcb5c02d61b387175 (file size: 4287 kb)
I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate version 6.1 (Build 7600) With all the newest updates
And I currently have FastPictureViewer 1.00 (Build: 111) 64-bit Professional Edition (Registered) installed.

Thank you :)
HNicolai

Re: "The installer has encounted an unexpected error"

Postby Axel on Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:32 am

The installer is tested to work on all supported platforms from XP to Windows 7 before every release and Win7 x64 is of course among them (actually the developement and testing is hosted on this plaform).

Try uninstalling the existing version from Control Panel, then (re)install the current one. If nothing works the Windows installer might be somehow out of sync on your machine and you can try to remove traces of the installed program from the installer database using the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301 EDIT: this dangerous little utility is no longer available).

Windows Installer corruptions can happen sometimes, for example when running "disk & registry cleanup utilities" that remove important hidden, protected operating system files and registry entries without discrimination.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby HNicolai on Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:47 pm

Yeah, it was a problem on my computer.

If anyone have the same problem then just do those steps to "fix" the error:
XP:
Press "Start" and select "Run" (Or press "Win" + "R")
Then write: cmd
Now write: icacls %temp% /grant SYSTEM:F
Done! Now you can use ".msi" files again :D

Vista/Win7:
Press "Start" and write: cmd
Now right-click on cmd.exe and select "Run as administrator"
Now write: icacls %temp% /grant SYSTEM:F
Done! Now you can use ".msi" files again :D
HNicolai

Postby Axel on Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:27 am

Oh, so something or someone has removed read/write access to the temp folder? Never a good idea :shock: ...but it would be interesting to know how this happened (and, by the way, this probably affected numerous other installers). Glad you found a way to fix the issue!
Axel
Site Admin

Return to General Discussions