Color management doesn't work

Get help with installing and running FastPictureViewer: ask questions here. Please do not post presumed bug reports or suggestions here.

Color management doesn't work

Postby Hasami on Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:43 am

Hello!

I have a problem: color management option doesn't work at all with NEF files from D70s (AdobeRGB) and with 16-bit TIFF files (ProPhotoRGB). Turning the color management on or off in FastPictureViewer options doesn't change anything (the picture looks just the same as if I use Photo Mechanic with color management toggled off).
I use FastPictureViewer Professional 1.00.126, Windows XP SP3, ATI Radeon 4870.

What am I doing wrong? Any help appreciated.
Hasami

Re: Color management doesn't work

Postby Axel on Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:08 am

Indeed 16-bit TIFF color management broke on XP and Vista following a change recently made (CM was working fine on Windows 7, though, and also fine with 8-bit TIFFs on all platforms).

V1.0.127.0 fixes this.

Not sure about D70s files. The closest I could do is change the profile of one such file with Capture NX and it worked as expected.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby Hasami on Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:35 pm

16-bit TIFF color management works fine now, thank you!

NEF files from D70s (and, btw, D50 too) with AdobeRGB profile are still shown without color management. After some digging (installed Capture NX and went through some open-save operations) I found out that Capture NX re-saves NEF files in a way that FastPictureViewer understands (i.e. after re-saving color management works great), but when files come directly from camera, without any modifications, FastPictureViewer shows them without color management.
Here is an example of such file for your convenience:
http://unker.net/hasami/temp/_DSC4881.NEF

By the way, I found two tiff files, which FPV shows with errors (Photo Mechanic shows them perfectly):
http://unker.net/hasami/temp/8887.tif (only noise, no picture)
http://unker.net/hasami/temp/8889.tif (colored lines)
Hasami

Postby Axel on Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:13 pm

First, the bad news: the TIFF codec is part of Windows and there is nothing I can do about it. The good news is that the two TIFFs in question display fine on Windows 7, and probably on Vista SP2 with the platform update too (one if the TIFFs shows a purple horizontal line and the other looks like noise on Vista SP2). You can try installing the latest Windows Live Photo Gallery, hoping that the TIFF codec gets updated along the way on XP. Other than that, not much hope.

The files create by the D70S (and probably also from other older Nikon cameras) did not have any explicit color space information in the EXIF data, nor in the MakerNote. It appears that the color space is set to Adobe RGB implicitely when the color mode is set to Mode II, so FPV now looks for this too, when no color space information is found in the standard places (this change will appear in the next build).

Files saved by CaptureNX are "modernized" and the proper metadata is added to the NEFs, as such FPV detects the color space just fine as it does with files created by more recent cameras.
Axel
Site Admin

Postby Hasami on Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:28 pm

Windows Live Photo Gallery offers to install SQL Server.. uff.. I'll better have some tiff's display broken. Anyway, I plan to switch to Win7 right after SP1 release.

Yes, I think Mode II is in fact equal to AdobeRGB at least with D70s and D50.

Thank you very much for the best Picture Viewer I ever used! (and I have used a lot of them)
Looking forward to the next build.
Hasami

Postby Hasami on Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:18 am

Another bug, I suppose: when an image is located in a root folder, FPV shows the next one from a folder, not from the root (for example, instead of showing f:\02.jpg after f:\01.jpg it shows a picture from f:\Drivers\)
Hasami

Return to User-to-User